Thursday 4 June 2020

Motherhood and me part 2 - Toddler Tales


There are two milestones in a toddler parent’s life – toilet training and playschool.
Looks like Indian parents conquer these concepts fairly quickly, for I have heard of tales where the first process began by the seventh month and succeeded at age one when the child could do his one and two, as well as any other numbers in the family toilet. Oh and schooling? That begins when a child has perfected his walk and has begun to run.

Holland is more relaxed. Toilet training and play school start along with each other - at two and a half. If you are once an Indian, you are always one. And I am no different. Education is paramount. So is social behavior. Thus, I decided to overtake the Dutch parents and enrolled my daughter as soon as she turned two.


Dressed in our best, we trooped into the playroom along with other parents and midgets. My daughter was the new kid on the block, quite literally. As a cheery Dutch rhyme played, we were asked to seat our child and walk away. I did, trying to hide the copious tears that were blinding me.  In fifteen minutes, the caretaker brought the darling daughter, howling and wailing. Little did I know that this would become my routine for the next several weeks. In the beginning I cried, for I couldn’t bear to leave her alone in a room full of strangers. And then I cried, for I couldn’t bear her holding on to me, round the clock.

And this became our pattern. To wake up, dress up, show up, tear up and then throw up. No number of toys or children or even bribes seemed to change her mind. At the start of the familiar music at 9 am, all children waved goodbye to their mums and sat in the tiny chairs with shiny eyes. For mine, the soothing music rang alarm bells and she would try to wrestle her way out of the grasp of Corina - the caretaker/teacher. Her “Amma edi!?(where is Mama?)” seemed to be modelled very much like “I am Groot”. She said that in several tones – panic, fright, anger and helplessness. So much that even the very Dutch Corina began to understand Telugu, our mother tongue.

We had to finally give in and accept that her will was too strong. After a happy break (happy for her) of over six months, I began the process all over again (sigh). But this time it was different. Thanks to rigorous study of Peppa pig, Ira could now understand and speak English. Corina, also knew how to deal with her. And in just about a month, she started to stay beyond her record of fifteen minutes. As this time slowly started to increase, so did my hope for some time off and alone. While the latter is still a challenge, Ira learnt to stay, obey and play.


While she played at school, I also started to go to a Dutch one, right below her classroom. And thus, we both began learning the language together, apart. It has been 36 months and she is a transformed child (at least at school). She has made best friends, has already had her share of quarrels and remains enthusiastic about meeting more children. While we stayed home because of the vicious virus, the time for goodbyes had come. She turned four and her teacher- Corina wanted to give her a proper send off. So, it was one last special day at school for her, before we stayed home again.

As I write about my experiences and perspectives in Holland, I see how much of a part Corina has played so far. She is the classic example of the appearances being deceptive saying. She looks strict, acts strict – also with parents, dresses only in black like Ursula of Little Mermaid but in reality is a dear. No amount of praising or thanking would really do her justice , but I would like to express my gratitude for her and others like her who take on the difficult job of training toddlers, thereby giving parents (read mothers) a much needed break.
Meanwhile, Ira is looking forward to going to ‘big school’. And come September, this little tornado is going to hit the primary school!

PS: Toilet training? Wait until the next post! 😊


  

No comments:

Post a Comment